For almost every new parent out there, sleep is a precious commodity. Parents of newborns are normally lack of sleep and may wonder if they will ever be able to catch up on sleep, especially with the endless activities that the parents need to attend to the baby. But as parents quickly find out, there are ways to get enough sleep with a baby.
1. A sleep mask will help parents catch up on needed sleep when it is light out. A mask will allow parents to nap when the baby naps during the daylight hours.
2. Music is a great way to help new parents to relax and unwind. Playing some soft music may also help you to relax and dose off to sleep.
3. Be sure that the sleeping environment is quiet and inviting. You want the overall atmosphere to have a relaxing feel.
4. As a new parent trying to catch up on sleep, it is important that you avoid alcohol. Alcohol can disrupt your normal sleeping pattern.
5. Avoid caffeine close to bedtime. Caffeine is a stimulant and will keep you awake.
6. Avoid other stimulants such as sodas, cookies and cakes. They too will keep you awake.
7. Avoid smoking. The nicotine found in cigarettes often keeps people awake.
8. Do not watch TV in the bedroom. It is important for new parents to get as much uninterrupted sleep as possible.
9. Do not exercise prior to trying to go to sleep. Exercise will get your adrenaline pumping and will keep you from going to sleep.
10. Go to the bathroom just before you go to bed. This will help prevent unnecessarily waking up.
11. Eat dinner two hours prior to going to sleep. If you are too full, you will not be able to sleep comfortably.
12. Do not sleep with the baby in your bed. You will not be able to fall into a deep sleep if you are worried about rolling over on the baby.
13. New parents can benefit from turning the ringer off of the mobile phone when they are trying to catch up on sleep.
14. Hire a babysitter or get a family member to keep the baby for a night so that you can get a full nights rest.
15. Alternate who gets up with the new baby. This will allow each parent to catch up on some needed sleep.
16. Whenever you are trying to nap, avoid looking at the clock.
17. In the middle of the night, have a bottle ready for the baby. This will help move the feeding process along and get the baby back to sleep quickly.
18. If you are a working parent, consider taking some cat naps during your lunch and/or breaks at work.
19. If at all possible, hire a housekeeper. The time you use cleaning up the house, could be better used for catching up on sleep.
20. Write down any worries or concerns you have. This will help you concentrate on sleeping and not focus on your problems or tasks that need to be done.
21. Set the alarm. If you plan to wake up at certain time, set the alarm, so that you don’t have to worry about sleep over the time. Make sure that you use one that has multiple levels of alarm, which start with a soft beep and increase the volume gradually.
22. If alarm clock is use, keep them a distance away as the ticking of the clock may be disturbing to some people.
23. You may not be able to get a full 8 hour night sleep, but you must take as many short nap as possible.
24. If you are a working parent, consider taking some cat naps during your lunch and/or breaks at work.
25. If at all possible, hire a housekeeper. The time you use cleaning up the house, could be better used for catching up on sleep.
There are a variety of things that new parents can do in order to catch up on sleep. By realizing this, you can quickly catch up on your sleep after your newborn arrives.